Monday, April 24, 2017

How to How-to #7: What's Left to Learn?

When I started this project, I wanted to learn how to use my phone to film me braiding, how to use software on my phone and laptop to edit that film and add audio, and how to upload those videos to YouTube to share with others. My underlying goal was to then be able to turn around and share that technical knowledge with my students when I ask them to create videos in their multi-modal projects.

I believe I have made progress towards all of those goals, though I would still like to improve in all of them. For instance, while I managed to use a selfie stick to hold my phone with MacGyver-like improvisations, I am positive I could be finding better angles to film from and a more permanent system for holding my phone if I continue making these videos. Additionally, when it comes to software and apps, while I like using iMovie and Splice, they are both Apple products that not all of my students will be able to access. That means I need to learn the basics of some other programs if I'm going to be able to help everyone in my classes.

Just in general, I think continued practice will lead me to discover so much more that I don't even know that I don't know right now. The good news is, I've gotten over my initial fear of trying a new skill, and I now know that it's possible to figure it out. Plus, there are still so many hairstyles to demonstrate! I'm also very tempted to try some satire in the form of videos about everything that goes wrong or what it actually takes to train a child to sit still long enough to do a fancy braid.






No comments:

Post a Comment