Tuesday, April 4, 2017

How to how-to #2

I had hoped to have another video up and running by now, but filming and editing a spiral braid how-to has proven more challenging than I expected.

At first, things seemed promising. I decided to film at my parents' house so that I would have my mom to help/run interference with my younger kiddos.
This is what she resorted to in order to keep them out of my shot.
I used one of her stools with an incredibly high-tech bonding method for my selfie stick to get a higher vantage point for this braid, which seemed like a good idea at the time.
I think the bow was a nice touch.
The problem with such a high camera, however, was that I couldn't actually see the screen while I was braiding. Initially, I was just concerned that I might not be keeping her centered in the frame, but when I finished the first spiral braid, I realized the bigger issue was that I didn't notice when my phone ran out of storage space after seven minutes and stopped recording, mid-braid. *head desk*

So. I deleted all the things from my phone that I could, pulled out the braid, started from the hair already parted, and tried again. I asked my mom to stand where she could see the phone to make sure it didn't stop recording, and I braided like the wind!
The finished product!
I ended up with a ten minute video and knew I would need to edit it down. A few days later, I started trying to do so in Splice. Unfortunately, I think ten minutes is beyond the scope of what Splice can do with the memory that I have on my phone. As I was starting to get the hang of how to trim and cut my video with its controls, it suddenly froze and gave up on me. *head desk*

My plan at this point is to upload the video onto my laptop, edit it using iMovie, then transfer the shorter video back to my phone to use the audio features of Splice, which I really like. Since I won't get to do that for another day at least, though, I wanted to give an update on where things are right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment