Sunday, April 23, 2017

How to How-to #5 - The Cutting Edge

I mentioned in my last post that I was planning to edit my next two videos by cutting one and speeding up the other. I actually ended up doing both for both. I had a "Eureka!" moment when I figured out that it was much easier to split my video on either side of the part I wanted to cut on iMovie and then delete the entire clip in the middle that doing so created than it was to try to use the sliding controls on Splice to select the entire piece I wanted to delete. Suddenly, I was the master of my destiny, slicing and dicing my film to eliminate all of the little infelicities of me struggling to get a piece smooth or stopping to use a brush mid-braid. 

What I found, however, was that the clip was still way too long after I had eliminated those moments, so I went ahead and speeded up the film. My goal was to learn how to help students cut their videos, and I feel confident doing that now, so I might as well have the look I want. 

You'll notice that I also added more still photos and a bit of text in this video. Sadly, it wasn't until just after I uploaded this one that I noticed that the orientation of this video is portrait. I fixed it in the next one so that the picture is bigger and there isn't a frame around it. 
It's a little crazy to me how much I feel like I am improving with each video. When my little neighbor was acting as film crew, she asked if she could see the videos I had already made. I was somewhat embarrassed to show her the first one because I would do it so differently now (though she was still impressed just to know I made something that anyone could see online). I'll talk more in my next post about what I still need to learn, but for now I just wanted to say it's nice to feel like I am getting the hang of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment