Wednesday, April 19, 2017

How to How-to #4: A film crew at last!

As the end of the semester barrels down on us, I realized I better hurry up and film some more braids so I can work on editing them. Semi-conveniently, my kids are on spring break this week, which means I had access to my daughter's hair in the middle of the day and also had her friend available to act as my film crew. It also meant that my husband had the day off from substitute teaching and that my preschooler was home. You win some, you lose some.

I paid her in apple pie. That's legit, right?
You see, when I was at my mom's house filming, she actively tried to keep things quiet and offer whatever assistance she could. My husband, bless his heart, kept walking back and forth in my light, singing, and asking me questions while I was trying to concentrate/braid and hold a comb in my mouth (I forgot to have a safe place to put it off camera).

The good news is, I did manage to film two braids without my phone giving up because it can't even with all the memory used. Now I know just how many things I need to delete first and I know how to quickly upload a video to my computer, delete it from my phone, and move on to the next project.

I haven't had a chance to edit either video yet, but I will. I'm going to edit one by cutting and the other by speeding it up. I prefer watching the speeded-up versions, but I know the cutting skills would be handy for more filming situations. Therefore I must master them.

I also spent some time this week watching other people's YouTube hair tutorials, and I was reassured to see that some seriously viral videos had no better filming/lighting than mine. Like this one, for instance.


What they do have is additional still photos and text at the beginning and end of their videos (as well as a drive to promote their channel and websites - not sure I possess that), so I'm going to work on incorporating some of that into my next two videos.

Here are some sneak-peeks of the braids I filmed: an Elsa-inspired one and a zig-zag.





No comments:

Post a Comment